Sunday, September 21, 2014

Practice with oils



This was the first time I had ever used oils before. I really like acrylic paint and I have been wanting to try oils for a while but never had the opportunity. The first thing I noticed was how easy it is to make mud out of them - being used to acrylics, I am accustomed to the ability to paint one color on and then if I don't like how it looks, go back ten minutes later and change it to a color I like better. The slow-drying nature of oil paints doesn't allow for this, so I quickly realized I would have to be more strategic about my color placement and which order I painted the colors on in order to have bright and vibrant colors. The apple I painted second and solely with a palette knife. At first it felt really awkward, but I got used to it and I really like how the palette knife enables me to make very expressive strokes, which is easily my favorite quality about oil paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment