Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Project 5: Self Portrait

This project took a lot longer than I had anticipated for a few reasons. I'm not super confident in drawing figures/faces, so that to begin with made the project a little bit challenging. Sketching and feature placement took me a long time, but I finally got the sketch where I wanted it. Initially I had intended to do my self portrait in oils, but I wasn't fond of the colors I had chosen and I got a little frustrated with the whole thing. I then switched gears and decided to do my portrait in stippling. I'd done a large landscape in stippling in art two, and really enjoyed it even though it was very time consuming. I really like the range of value and the detail that can be achieved with stippling.

The most challenging part of this project was definitely capturing myself accurately. Even though my drawing was pretty accurate, my initial placement of the shadows seemed to distort some of my features, especially my nose. I went back in and deepened the shadows, and that made my features appear more proportional. I had to go back and push the dark values several times, but now I am happy with the contrast. Overall, I am pretty happy with the end result. I definitely feel more confident about rendering portraits as well as stippling.




No comments:

Post a Comment